Contribution or Collaboration on any code repository is encouraged; while we prefer technical questions be reserved to Github (preferably to the repositories above). We are equally as happy to take any feedback through Github as Github Issues or Pull Requests on any repository. We are always looking for feedback, feature requests, or technical inquiries on this repository or by email at datagov**@**gsa.gov. If you are a human that considers themselves or aspires to be a developer, security engineer, designer, editor/writer, or general innovator; we encourage you to take initiative and participate.
Data.gov is an open data website created by the U.S. General Services Administration that is based on two robust open source projects: CKAN and WordPress. The data catalog at catalog.data.gov is powered by CKAN, while the content seen at Data.gov is powered by WordPress.
This repository provides the issue tracker for all code, bugs, and feature requests related to Data.gov. Currently the repository is only used for source version control on the code for the WordPress template, but you will also find pointers to the relevant CKAN code and additional resources documented below.
- CKAN. The Data.gov team recommends the latest version of CKAN.
- Data.gov CKAN. The code powering the Data.gov instance of CKAN.
- release-datagov – The main development branch used for the current catalog.data.gov.
- GSA/ckanext-geodatagov – Most data.gov specific CKAN customizations are contained within this extension, but the extension also provides additional geospatial capabilities.
- ckanext-datagovtheme – The CKAN theme for catalog.data.gov
- Extensions. The Data.gov team has developed several CKAN extensions, but these are still in the process of being packaged for more widespread use. The full list of installed extensions can be seen via the CKAN API. Custom extensions include:
- Other Tools
- Deployment. We are in the process of improving documentation and hope to provide build scripts and configurations for tools like Vagrant to make setting up the Data.gov CKAN easier for others.
- WordPress. The Data.gov team recommends the latest version of WordPress.
- Data.gov WordPress template. The code powering the Data.gov WordPress template.
- Plugins. See the routinely updated plugins page for a list of all the plugins used on Data.gov.
- GSA/datagov-custom – Most data.gov specific customizations are contained within this extension
- Deployment. Download the latest version of WordPress. This is a standard WordPress install, so please refer to the WordPress Docs. In the near future we hope to release the configuration for installing the Data.gov WordPress using WordPress CLI.
Additional Data.gov Resources
- Data.gov/Developers. In addition to this repository, please be sure to look at the Data.gov Developers section for more updates and resources, including information on Data.gov’s CKAN API: http://data.gov/developers/.
- Design. Design assets for Data.gov.
- GSA/datagov-design – The source graphic files for logo, icons, layout.
- Communications. Communication and publishing systems that power Data.gov.
- Harvest Tools. Tools to support Data.gov harvesting and compliance with the format and metadata schema requirements of Project Open Data. Learn more at Project Open Data.
- Style Guide. A content style guide for Data.gov.
- GSA/data.gov-styleguide – A Style Guide for prose on Data.gov, heavily inspired by UK.gov’s style guide.
Ways to Contribute
We’re so glad you’re thinking about contributing to Data.gov!
Before contributing to Data.gov we encourage you to read our CONTRIBUTING guide, our LICENSE, and our README (you are here), all of which should be in this repository. If you have any questions, you can email the Data.gov team at firstname.lastname@example.org.