WordPress Starter Theme
WordPress Starter Theme for use as a starting template for building custom themes. Uses SCSS and AutoPrefixr, HTML5 Boilerplate with Modernizr and Normalize.css, and Grunt for all processing tasks. Syncs changes across local development devices with BrowserSync. Tested up to WordPress 4.0 RC1.
Rename folder to your theme name, change the
style.scss intro block to your theme information. Open the theme directory in terminal and run
npm install to pull in all Grunt dependencies. Run
grunt to execute tasks. Code as you will.
If you are using MAMP or Vagrant, change the
proxy option in the
grunt browserSync task to match your vhost URL.
- Concatenate and minify plugins in
- Minify and lint
- Create sprites by adding PNGs to assets/images/sprites and use by referencing created classes in assets/styles/partials/_spritesheet.scss
To concatenate and minify your jQuery plugins, add them to the
assets/js/vendor directory and add the
js filename and path to the
uglify task. Previous versions of the starter theme automatically pulled all plugins in the
vendor directory, but this has changed to allow more granular control and for managing plugins and assets with bower.
The theme includes deployments via grunt-rsync. The Gruntfile includes setups for staging and production – edit your paths and host, then run
grunt deploy:staging or
grunt deploy:production to deploy your files via rsync.
- Normalized stylesheet for cross-browser compatibility using Normalize.css version 3 (IE8+)
- Easy to customize
- Flexible grid based on work from Chris Coyier
- Media Queries can be nested in each selector using SASS
- SCSS with plenty of mixins ready to go
- Much much more
- WordPress SEO by Yoast
- Google Analytics for WordPress by Yoast
- W3 Total Cache
- Gravity Forms
- Pods Framework
Anyone and everyone is welcome to contribute! Check out the Contributing Guidelines.
Without these projects, this WordPress Starter Theme wouldn’t be where it is today.